Joy Motts Candidate for Antioch City Council 2020, District 1
I am a lifelong Antioch resident who never stops advocating for the people in our community. I am an active leader who can always be counted on to show up and work hard and get results in providing for better Antioch and a better quality of life.
• Former Trustee and 2-year President of the Board, Antioch Unified School District.
• Founding member, current President and fundraising chair for Celebrate Antioch Foundation – a citizens created Nonprofit that has organized and raised private donations for an Antioch 4th of July celebration, Holiday Celebration and now 8 other community events since 2012.
• Former Community and Parent Liaison, Antioch High School
• Chairperson, Measure C Campaign (successful 2008 campaign to upgrade 14 of Antioch's oldest schools)
• Measure C committee member 2012- successful campaign to provide additional funds to the City of Antioch for the hiring of police officers and code enforcement.
• Spearheaded and successfully worked with the community on a $55 million bond measure for the school renovation of Antioch’s 60-year-old high school, Antioch High.
• Passed first ever Project Labor agreement in the city of Antioch to ensure construction at Antioch High was completed safely, with local hire and living wages and benefits.
• Worked with Antioch citizens in forming a Suburban Poverty Task Force that is addressing the needs of our most at risk citizens and fighting for equity in services for East Contra Costa.
• Spearheaded the creation of a City Council Homeless Task Force that is taking action to provide bridge housing with critical services to help our unhoused off the streets and into permanent housing.
• Successfully worked with the community in stopping Antioch ‘s Dozier Libbey Medical High School, a California Distinguished School, from becoming a Charter School.
• Supported the hiring of a City Youth Services Coordinator and allocating funds to support social and recreational services for Antioch’s youth.
• In 2019 doubled our code enforcement department and abatement team to address blight, and illegal dumping and allocated monies to support beatification efforts on arterial street medians to promote community pride.
• Director and Treasurer, East County Women’s Leadership Initiative • Member, Antioch Women's Club
• Member, Antioch Historical Society
• Director, Antioch Schools Education Foundation
• President and Treasurer, Celebrate Antioch Foundation
Your support and contributions will enable us to meet our goals and improve conditions. Your generous donation will fund our mission.
Those proudly endorsing Joy Motts for Antioch City Council, District 1, 2020 (partial list)
Contra Costa Times & Mercury News
Colin Coffey, East Bay Regional Park Director
Contra Costa County Building and Trades
California State Senator Steve Glazer
Contra Costa County Supervisor Federal Glover
Antioch City Councilwoman Monica Wilson
Antioch City Councilman Lamar Thorpe
Former Mayor Don Freitas
Former School Board Trustee Barbara Cowan
Former County Board of Education Trustee Richard Asadoorian
Contra Costa County School Board Trustee Annette Lewis
International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 302
Jim and Earlene Lanter
Kim and Rick Stadtlander
Sheri and TJ Thompson
Tom LaMothe and Katie Cook LaMothe
Iris and Keith Archuleta
Paul and Alena Schmidt
Maria and John Myers
Jennifer and Mark Hughes
Denise and Dennis Skaggs
Korina Gonzales Anderson
Lucy Meinhardt and David Zumwalt
Files coming soon.
Sign up to hear from us about specials, sales, and events.